Tuesday 16 December 2014

Moment with the Mayor: "Dear Santa"

A quick note: the Bean isn't publishing the week of the 29th so this column may not be seen in the Bean.

Hi Neighbours:

There we are, my two youngest sons and I sitting in the stands watching Denmark beat Russia, and my youngest grabs my attention and says, “Dad, can we read Santa’s letter to me?” “Of course,” I said! In the stands, with the game going on, my son and I rip open the envelope and read Santa’s letter. It was a good letter but, as I reflected later, I wondered: if Santa delivered gifts to municipalities, what would I ask for? So, here is my Christmas letter to Santa, as Mayor.

Dear Santa:
It has been a good year in Kindersley - not perfect but we don’t deserve a lump of coal either. We have made a lot of tough decisions this year and taken steps to grow. Santa, there are a lot of good people here working hard to make Kindersley a home and a community that we are all proud of. We have great volunteers! But there are some things we need help with. Could you help us with some of these things?

First of all, could you make it possible for us to spend enough on the goods and services the Town needs and wants and still lower taxes? If not, here is a list of things we need:

Clear Communications
Dust Control that Works
Field House
Fire Hall
Good Crops
Good Governance
Good Government Relations
Health Services Effectiveness
Homeowners in Brookhollow
HWY Corridor Beautification
Ladder Truck
Lift Stations
Lower Taxes
Main St Boulevard
New Businesses
Passing & Turning Lanes on HWYs
Performing Arts Centre
Playgrounds and Equipment
Pool
Reasonable Oil Prices
Redesigned HWY Intersections
Regional Landfill
Revitalized Downtown
Safety for All
Street Sweeper
Truck Parking
Waste Water Lagoon
Water and Sewage Pipes
Water Mains
WCEC Fully Repaired

Finally, Santa, to wrap this up nicely: effective and efficient arts, recreation, and social programming for kids of all ages.

I realize, Santa, that this list is a bit lengthy but Kindersley needs these items to be beautiful and just, to have opportunities for fulfillment, and to have good relations. Sometimes we complain that the federal and provincial governments seem too much like Scrooge but we realize they are trying their best with their resources as well.

Thanks, Santa. And if you don’t mind installing or implementing these items, I sure would be grateful; my Christmas tree and stocking aren’t big enough for these items.

Merry Christmas! May peace and joy be yours throughout the year. Please, stay safe in the winter conditions.


Please write or phone if you would like me to discuss a particular topic. If you have any questions or comments, drop me a line at the town office or email me at mayorenns-wind@kindersley.ca. You can also check out my blog at http://mayorjohn.blogspot.ca/. I appreciate your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment