Monday 16 February 2015

Response to a Student's Questions for a Class Assignment about Leadership

A couple of weeks ago I received a student letter asking about leadership. The student in question visits Kindersley to visit their grandparents. I have reformatted the letter, and omitted the students name and school to protect the student’s privacy, to make it easier for me to respond to questions. The letter and questions follow.

I am a grade 6 student in Calgary AB. My class is having a mock election. This is an inquiry project.  I would like to collect some information about you and what you had to do to become an elected representative.

My class and I are learning about Government and Democracy. I have a few questions for you.

·         What do you think makes you a good leader and what made you want to take on this job as a political leader?
     ·         I have vision and values by which I lead: a community that is beautiful, just, with opportunities for individuals to pursue fulfillment, and where people can find healthy relationships
     ·         I try to communicate as much as is possible on a wide variety of relevant issues.
     ·         Inclusiveness is very important and that includes Council and community groups and individuals.
     ·         It is important to be disciplined in pursuing Council’s goals.
     ·         Good leaders need to manage themselves well. Often we have a bit in our brain that wants to hijack our emotions so we respond inappropriately. It is important to rest to manage the worst part of ourselves.
     ·         I was hesitant to run for mayor. A number of friends strongly encouraged me to run; if they hadn’t encouraged me I doubt I would have run.
     ·         My goal is to provide leadership that pursues our strategic goals, gives our community confidence in our governance, and prudently manages our money for today and tomorrow

·         Where did you grow up?
     ·         I was born in St. Boniface MB, grew up in Newcastle ON, and have lived in worked in southern AB, northeastern BC, Yellowknife NT, and in three communities in SK.
     ·         I have also worked overseas.

·         When your job as a Mayor is over would you want to run as a leader again or you might also take on a higher or lower position, if not why?
     ·         I don’t know if I will run again.
     ·         It requires a lot of time and commitment leading to financial sacrifice.
     ·         I doubt I would become a Councillor: it wouldn’t be fair to the incoming Mayor.
     ·         Regarding politics at the federal or provincial levels: we having incumbents and they are running again.

·         I would also like to know about your background, what job did you have before you became a leader.
     ·         I have an double Hons BA as well as two graduate degrees: Master of Divinity (MDiv.), and an Master of Business Administration (MBA).  I am a self employed management consultant.
     ·         I am a part-time mayor who spends about 30 hours a week fulfilling my responsibilities and am still a self-employed management consultant
     ·         I am married with three sons ages 8, 13, 15.
          
·         Everyone faces challenges during their career no matter what job they take, what was your biggest challenge that you had to take?
     ·         A big challenge is running in an election and being Mayor.
     ·         I resigned a very good position to go back to school.
     ·         I have worked on some excellent projects over the years that have forced me to grow professionally and personally. It is important to accept these challenges to help us become better to help other people and ourselves.

·         If you fix or change something to improve your town what would it be?
     ·         Kindersley, like Calgary, has a lot of challenges. I would like us to have a culture of collaboration to continue to build a community you would like to visit and live in.

My grandparents live in Kindersley, Saskatchewan. Your town is really nice. Since it is so small I can walk around without feeling unsafe or lost. My dad grew up there too. He went to Westberry elementary school. The school is always having something new built in their park each time I go there to visit some of my relatives.


Thank you for your time. You do not have to answer if you are busy and I would not mind if you have to get someone else to answer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment