Tuesday 21 January 2014

Youth Council Mayor's Election Speech

Below is my oldest son's speech he gave to be elected Youth Council Mayor.

January 13, 2014

·         Over the past year or so I have learned that people expect many different things from their mayor.

·         They expect someone who can:

·         Listen to their concerns,

·         Works hard to resolve their issues, and

·         Have a vision for the future.

·         These are three things I believe I can effectively do as Youth Council Mayor over the next year.

·         My first goal is to listen to what our class mates have to say to better understand what we can do to help them.

·         As we listen we can either share the information with others who can help them or we can take action ourselves to make a difference

·         I want to be able to help address their issues and suggestions so they know Youth Council is listening and cares.

·         When we listen as a Youth Council we can be a good Youth Council

·         The second goal is resolving issues. This can range from just listening to someone’s concerns to acting on it as a Youth Council

·         Resolving issues means understanding the needs of youth in Kindersley and taking steps to implement solutions

·         I believe we can make a difference

·         Thirdly, I have a vision for Youth Council

·         I’d like us to continue going to schools to help other students,

·         I’d like to see us continue to organize youth events in the community

·         But, I would like us work harder to engage more students in the things we do

·         This may mean we have to change what we do or improve what we are doing

·         I would also like to see us work with the new immigrants of Kindersley

·         There are hundreds of people in Kindersley who were born overseas

·         What can we do to help them have a good life in Kindersley?

·         What can we do to help their children adjust to life in Canada and Kindersley?

·         This may involve planning events for them and educating our schoolmates

·         One thing I would like us to explore this year is having a general election for Youth Council

·         Is it possible to have Youth Council and Mayor elected by students across Kindersley?

·         Maybe it is Grade 5 and up and it will be easier if our schools are reorganized to have middle years school and high school.

·         I think it is important to study this so that Youth Council can be a tool to help all students better understand what we do across Kindersley and, hopefully, become more involved.

·         My final vision is that other communities have a chance to develop Youth Councils as well

·         We are one of the few Youth Councils in Canada

·         If I am elected Youth Council Mayor, it will give Kindersley, and us, a unique and historic opportunity to discuss Youth Councils with communities in West Central Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan, and possibly across Canada.

·         Youth Council is a good program, and other youths would benefit from the same opportunities we have.

·         As Youth Council Mayor I would like everybody to feel included

·         This may mean when going to deliver letters we go with a different person rather than a friend to get to know them better so we can understand how we would best work.

·         To achieve these goals means building on our strengths The strengths I will bring to the Youth Council as mayor include:

·         I am a good listener

·         I listen to what people say to me

·         I hear what is going on around me

·         I am a hard worker

·         Maybe you have seen me working in the lunch room, doing sound, helping teachers, or helping students

·         I want to work hard to make a difference

·         I am a facilitator, in other projects, my goal has been to ensure everyone contributes.

·         When I have been at Young Entrepreneurs camp I have been nominated from our group as the person who worked hardest to build the team into a team

             It is important as a leader to have vision and I have clearly outlined my vision for being Mayor in 2014

·         Thank you for considering me for mayor.

No comments:

Post a Comment