Sunday 26 May 2013

An Introductory Profile


Hi, I’m John Enns-Wind and I want to serve as your Mayor on Kindersley’s Town Council. As I have been listening to people in preparation to determine if I should run, I have learned some important things.

One of the most important things I have learned is that there are a lot of us who love and are very passionate about Kindersley; we see a bright future for Kindersley which includes a future for our children.

On the flip side I have also seen and heard frustration within the Town. Our frustration comes out of two things:

1.       Concern that Kindersley will not reach her potential and

2.       Have we forgotten what is important? Us, the people.

 There are many concerns we share including: affordable housing, increased taxes, value of service, business recruitment and retention, healthcare, and more. I think we can generally agree that Kindersley is facing many challenges in many areas. These are important issues and reflect just how much we care about Kindersley.

Unfortunately, these are also issues that require considered thought and persistence. I am also here to tell you that I want to be a part of the solution. The process to overcome Kindersley’s challenges will require discipline, creativity, critical thinking, skill, and some luck.

Let me explain how I think I can be part of the solution.

My wife and I used to live in the Northwest Territories where I worked as a consultant and then as a Community Economic Planner. As a Consultant I worked for Diavik Diamond Mines on their environmental assessment talking with communities about their capacity and expectations.

As a Community Economic Planner I travelled across the arctic working with communities to overcome their socio-economic challenges; I was a part of the team negotiating with the federal government to restart the Mackenzie Pipeline; as a member of another team I worked to ensure that a remote community maximized benefits from oil and gas companies.

During my time as a pastor I led churches to be a part of the solution in communities and helped people overcome their personal tragedies. As the Chaplain of the Weyburn Red Wings I worked with the Captains to develop their leadership and team building skills to turn around a losing season and win the RBC Cup.

Since earning my MBA, Master of Business Administration, I have been working as a management consultant in Saskatoon and now here in Kindersley. In this role I have helped organizations improve their efficiency, enhance morale, identify potential revenue streams, clarify governance, develop new products, and develop strategic plans.

My education includes two graduate degrees: a Master of Divinity and a Master of Business Administration. Through these degrees I have honed my critical thinking skills, discipline and creativity.

So, with this experience and education how can I be a part of the solution? I am going to bring three approaches to the Council table:

Collaborative: I believe the best results are when we listen, watch, and encourage one another.

Shared Value: occurs when the Town and stakeholders in Kindersley work to improve their situation in such a way that Kindersley is enriched.

Collective Impact: for us to resolve our challenges it will require all of us to understand what we do best and work within those bounds so Kindersley can realize her potential.

There are also three attributes I will be bringing to the discussions:

Reflection: I tend to step back and take a look at issues from a variety of perspectives.

Critical Thinking: asking relevant questions and persisting until answers are given.

Strategic Thinking: an ability to consider issues within a larger context and its trend.

Kindersley’s future lies not only as a provider of resources but also as a regional hub. With these two qualities Kindersley can be a prairie oasis for West Central Saskatchewan. To achieve this vision requires value based decision making including:

Good Neighbours: we are considerate of our neighbours down the street and around the region;

Intentional Planning: as we are intentional about our planning we are much more likely to achieve our goals;

Fiscal Discipline: achieving the best value and outcomes for our taxes.

Let me conclude by saying I am a team player: I want the Town to look good as well as my colleagues serving Kindersley. As one of my clients said: “Mr. Enns-Wind worked closely with our team, providing insightful suggestions based on his vast experiences.  He took the time to learn about our project and goals, while at the same time empowering us to reach further outside our comfort zones in order to create a quality product.” It is my desire to accomplish the same thing as a Mayor.
 
Thank you for hearing me out and if you want to talk or have coffee please give me a call, 463.6867 or email me at jennswind@sasktel.net so we can continue the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment