Sunday 8 June 2014

Moment with the Mayor: FCM Update

Hi Neighbours:
Last week I returned from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities AGM and Convention in Niagara Falls. I was one of about 2,000 municipal leaders from across the country to attend. I spoke with Mayors and Councillors from Pond Inlet NU; Yellowknife NT, Dawson City YK, and Nova Scotia to BC. What follows are some of the things I learned:

·         Justin Trudeau, leader of the Liberal Party spoke about infrastructure and said any program has to be substantive, predictable, and sustainable. Trudeau also said infrastructure spending should increase 1% of GDP (this is a lot of money). Trudeau was confident the Liberals would be the best municipal partner.

·         Thomas Mulcair, Leader of the Opposition and the NDP also shared how things would be better with an NDP government by developing a new relationship between the federal government and municipalities, there is too much competition for infrastructure monies, municipalities need long term predictability and provide more money.

·         Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport for the Government shared how the Conservatives have made things better. Raitt also noted that the major infrastructure problem is grid lock in the major urban centres. Municipal leaders were complimented on our good work because Canada is doing well.

·         General agreement that municipal governments are the most transparent, accountable, accessible and engaged than the federal and provincial governments;

·         I learned from a Saskatchewan provincial official that the average property tax increase across SK this past year was 11.8%. Municipalities are bearing the brunt of growth and related costs.

·         Another Mayor shared with me how they built their multi use complex. 3 months before their election Council took the community into debt for the project and there was a lot of protest. All 7 Councillors were re-elected.

·         4 resolutions were debated with three winning. Municipalities support a national exotic animals, zoos, and aquariums regulations, a national health and fitness day and better collaboration by the federal government with municipalities (I supported these resolutions). Some major urban centres wanted FCM to stop the cuts in service to Canada Post; it was defeated much easier than I anticipated (I voted to defeat the motion).


Please write or phone if you would like me to discuss a particular topic. If you have any questions or comments, drop me a line at the town office or email me at mayorenns-wind@kindersley.ca. You can also check out my blog at http://mayorjohn.blogspot.ca/. I appreciate your feedback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment