Sunday 20 October 2013

A Possible SUMA Resolution: Anti-Bullying Legislation

A possible SUMA resolution regards anti-bullying. Here is why I think anti-bullying legislation is better coming from the province rather than municipalities such as the Town of Kindersley.

Municipalities are traditionally responsible for municipal services such as water, sanitation, garbage, streets and what not, land controls such as coordinating residences being in a different area from industrial, and public safety regarding traffic and buildings.

Here is something I didn't expect to hear from people: "Make them change!" I don't think legislation will change people's behaviour. It has been tried with some spectacular failures. However, there are some behaviours which are socially unacceptable, such as bullying, and I think these behaviours should be regulated by either provincial or federal legislation. These levels of government have the legislative tools to introduce them and the resources to enforce their legislation. I am not convinced we have the necessary tools and resources.

I agree that if we adopted an anti bullying bylaw that it would be good public relations but would it be effective? Recall what I said about legislation and enforcement? To the best of my knowledge we don't have the legislative clout, nor the money, to investigate and prosecute a suspect nor do we know how a judge may respond to our bylaw. What is the community's expectation if there is a case that we can't enforce because of a lack of resources? My thinking is that if we can't enforce it don't enact it.

Further, how do we address bullying on Facebook and other social media when the bullying occurs from someone in a surrounding RM or another town or village down the highway? There is that question and with what resources including technical expertise? How much do we spend on this? The funds will likely have to be put in reserve. Finally, but not completely, would a crown prosecutor use the information collected by us to prosecute a suspect?

There is a lot of unknowns with enacting a local anti-bullying bylaw. I commend our neighbours across the region for doing this but I am not convinced it is the best thing for a municipality to enact. I favour lobbying the provincial government through SUMA to enact and enforce anti-bullying legislation.

Please let me know your thoughts on this if this is an issue important to you.

I would like to thank Laurent Mougeot, the Chief Executive Officer of SUMA, for his insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment